Friday, December 18, 2015

Page 1 of Badin and the Secret of the Saami Was Brutal

A small abstract from a panel
It has been a rough ride, but I did it: I completed page one of the first act of Badin and the Secret of the Saami. I completed it. That is, penciling, inking, coloring AND lettering. Yes, I did it all. I even changed a few panels and dialog. It took all week! But frankly, I could not resist it!

Surely, I had a good plan. But I couldn't keep thinking about what it would look like in color and lettered. So I made it happen. The more I worked on it, the more symbolism became the overarching theme in throughout the page's composition. I will surely make revisions to it over time. However, it was a great morale booster to pull it off.

I am proving to myself many things by completing page one in the manner. Color, shape and content is definitely going to dominate this work. Critically, many seasoned comic and graphic novel readers and creators will probably hate it. However, I am not doing this for them nor am I doing it because I want a job as a comic book artist (if you follow this blog, you know what I'm describing). I also proved to myself I can do something extremely difficult. Believe me. This project is all-consuming and I am obsessing over it.

The above abstract is from a small section in one of the panels. I shall leave its interpretation up to you. Meanwhile, it is time to set up the pages and layout for page 2. I am behind schedule.

No comments: