|Abstract from a finished page|
I think I understand what seasoned comic artists and writers mean when they say that good art compliments good writing. However, that assumes I am doing something good for either component. I hope I am. I can only keep going, I suppose. Maybe after you read Badin and the Secret of the Saami in autumn 2016, you will comment or send me a message with your thoughts.
I made some notes of how my process has changed in the past week or two (using Manga Studio 5EX).
- Create panel guides, copy trim and live guides based on thumbnail layout sketches.
- Create the frame folders with Frame Sub-Tool.
- Run actions to create the following layers in each frame folder: Composition, draft, ink.
- Create word balloons and enter dialog/narration with Text Curve Balloon Sub-Tool. Make sure custom text settings are activated.
- Place appropriate composition rulers by Doug Hills into each frame folder.
- Adjust draft layer elements and lettering according to composition ruler if necessary. I tend to use Rule of Thirds, Golden Slant and Golden Spiral the most. These help me construct very pleasing compositions in the frames.