Sunday, December 4, 2016

All artwork complete for Badin and the Secret of the Saami (2016-12-04)

The Queen with lantern
Queen Lovisa Ulrika in a scene from the graphic novel
On this dark, snowy and cold December 4th, I am proud to announce that I have completed the inking, lettering and coloring for all ninety pages in my Badin and the Secret of the Saami graphic novel. This is a glorious day.

I have sacrificed much for this project. I have also realized that my wife and son believed in it more than myself. In all my moments of "I don't think I can do this anymore" exasperations, they emphatically told me I could—and should—do it. Technically, the book is unfinished: Front matter, table of contents, cast of characters, chapter title pages and glossary sections are still needed. Compared to the artwork for the story, that is easy stuff!

I am relieved because I have neglected pursuing paid work and allowed our financial situation to worsen. Starting tomorrow, I can carry on with my normal schedule without the anxiety of finishing the artwork. I have my doubt that this project will bring any prosperity. However, it was never truly a capitalistic venture. It is more important than money.

This project is important because it is a weapon against racism and xenophobia. It is also a beacon of hope for humanity. At the cornerstone is an adopted African child and an indigenous Saami man. The African child represents the first and most underappreciated and feared persons in the human family: Black males. The indigenous man represents the humble and ancient guardians of nature in Europe: The resilient Saami people. All of this takes place during the 18th century in my mother's ancestral homeland of Sweden.

Prior to the release of the graphic novel on May 1, 2017, there will be one more Mini-Saga (extremely short story). This one features the star character, Badin. It is called "Mirror." I encourage you to read this and the previously published booklets and share the news about the Badin and the Secret of the Saami project with your friends and family. Please help me by purchasing the Mini-Sagas, reading and telling others about this them. I plan to use the money to hire an editor and translators for the book.

No comments: