Saturday, December 12, 2015

Knös the Giant in Swedish

Cover for the Swedish version of Knos the Giant
It has been over 2 years since I first introduced the world to a Black Swedish character called Knös the Giant (also in Swedish Knös, Jätten). I combed through quite a few Swedish folktales and settled on one of the most symbolic in my opinion.

While in the Swedish city of Söderköping as a guest for television show Allt För Sverige, I was inspired to tell stories about non-white Swedish children. At the time, I had to study a number of Swedish children's books and movies for a competition. The lack of non-white characters was a little disturbing—especially since I knew I was half-Swedish and I met so many other Swedes that looked like me. When I enthusiastically shared this idea as a collaboration project with one of the other Americans, it was promptly shot down. But I was not going to let that stop me.

So now, in 2015, I am finally putting in more time to promote Knös the Giant and The Swedish Girl of Motala. Yesterday, I released the Swedish language version of Knös the Giant. It is called Knös, Jätten. This took alot of work and I got some great help from translator Simon Hästo and editor Kay Hutchings-Olsson.

I hope to have the Swedish version of The Swedish Girl of Motala within a month or so. While I am doing this, I am also working on a graphic novel called Badin and the Secret of the Saami, my regular stock illustrations and Photo Grafix. My plate is full and I am excited about the future. Your support and encouragement over the years has been a big part of keeping me going.

No comments: