Saturday, June 13, 2015

Researching for Badin and the Secret of the Saami

Furniture, clothing, vehicles. These seem so unimportant. However, for an American artist illustrating a graphic novel that takes place in Sweden during the 1760s, an intense amount of time must be invested in researching how these things appeared. Having some basic knowledge of Swedish and some Swedish friends is also crucial to finding the best sources on the internet.

Now that the full script is complete (with some continuous editing here and there), I am creating the model sheets of the characters and locations. I find this kind of work to be more enjoyable on my drawing table with pencil. Sitting at this computer is nice for gathering and organizing the information. Although I draw with the computer for much of the week, this project is a very different from my typical illustration work. By the way, I have been using Scrivener for organizing. It is an amazing writing tool.

While my script is in the hands of two unnamed individuals with whom I require a quick to read to see if the story is accomplishing what I want, I have been dabbling in thumbnail creation on the script. However, I think I was getting ahead of myself. The model sheets are very important to create first. Duran Textiles in Sweden has a site with amazing pictures of clothing from 18th century Sweden that will make clothing creation for my characters much easier.

I wish I could share with you the model sheets—especially of our hero, Badin. However, that would be spoiling things. Maybe I'll share an abstract of a cropped portion as a teaser when I am done with the model sheets. Suffice it to say, I think you will be pleased with what you see in the graphic novel.


No comments: