Thursday, September 17, 2015

Badin and the Secret of the Saami Progress 2015-09-16

A color abstract of one of the minor, but important, characters
I may have mentioned previously that Badin and the Secret of the Saami is like no other illustration project I have done before. Some will hate it. Others will love it.

Either way, it will shed light on topics untouched by any graphic novel that I have known. The most important of them, is the childhood of the most famous Swede of the African Diaspora: Badin. Although it is entirely fiction, many of the characters, scenes and events are related to actual history of Swedish and Saami people.

This month, with the help of funds raised from dozens of people from around the world, I hired translators and editors and published the first English translation of the real Badin's diary. It is available as a download for free on the Internet. A hard-bound edition is available at-cost from Lulu Press.

I did this out of my own time, with no pay. I did this for the Swedish people out of gratitude for their gift to me and my family. That gift was to be a guest for the 2013 season of Allt för Sverige and receive family history and the reuniting of family from three generations ago.

No comments: